I had my fingers crossed this morning when i got up early to root, backup and flash cyanogenmod 7. Luckily i watched the videos and read on it the night before. Everything went well and one hour later i was booting into cm7!!
A few reasons i want a custom rom other than amazon’s (even though i love their os too):
- ability to back up data, especially game progresses or so i gather from reading
- most backup apps require root
- more customizations
- i had trouble installing directly to the kindle fire from android market. Don’t what it is.
- supposely future rom flashes can be done without losing old data
- and to check out the rom for myself
For now, i really dig it. I also installed a bunch of super cute themes for go launcher. Very happy!